Tuesday, May 17, 2005

I've been very remiss

But hey, I've been finishing high school! It's hard work! I have to spend every spare minute signing yearbooks and saying interesting and meaningful (yet not overly mushy) things. Anyhow, the Stanford series is going to get less lengthy here for a while beacause I have a date with the GIlmore Girls Season Finale at Brett's in 45 minutes which means I have to leave in 30. Stanford:Part the Third On day number two, (oh man, I've only gotten to number two...) I went to a spanish class with my roho. The teacher was Puerto Rican, and besides talking reallyreallyfast, He was pretty intelligible. I was completely fine in the class, if not better than fine. My grammar was up to snuff, and my accent positively the best. Whee! Gotta love classes which are a level or two too easy. After class, I was due in MemAud for yet another set of speeches. They were pretty eh, but at the end, the campus improv group came out and did a pretty hillarious series of sketches. They, of course, started with the jokes I was beginning to be familiar with. They go like this: On walk two scrawny Asian kids--a voice booms, "At MIT.." One leans up to the microphone and pronounces, in a voice dripping with eau de nerd, "Such a small device with such collossal consequences!!!" The other responds, "Yes!" [nerdy laughter] A girl wanders on stage. "LOOK!!!! IT'S A GIRL!!!" She sneers. They leave. Then a girl in a sleek dress comes forth, hair bouncing. She approaches the microphone, as the other players cluster around her. "Hi! I'm Muffy, and I just love it here at Yale. New Haven is really nice, and my professors..." [BOOM!]"SHIT!" She and the others fall to the ground, covering their ears, "Was that a shot?!?" Amid much laughter and an announcement, "At Princeton," they stand, and two snappily dressed ones come to the front, a girl and a boy, strolling, noses high. The guy says "...and so I told him, if you want to play polo, you're going to have to wear Polo." He and the girl laugh snootity. "Come, Mitzi," he proclaims, "let's go have a scone." These jokes, or some variation on them, were repeated OVER and OVER and OVER. I've got to admit, they're pretty funny sometimes. (Sorry Princetonians and anyone else who is feeling miffeed.) After the speeches and the skits, we headed outside where we were met by the Leland Stanford Junior University Marching Band. Yes, they use the whole name. For those of you unfortunates who have never seen the LSJUMB, suffice it to say, they've been banned from several schools and United Airlines, and they dress the tie-dyed, neon-wigged, bare-chested part. They were good. Really good. And I have to leave in 5 minutes so... Next time on Stanford: Part the Fourth--Mary FINALLY gets her luggage and meets a Hawaiian.

1 Comments:

Blogger anna said...

Ah yes, the mocking of the Ivies and MIT. I have to say, Princeton kids don't bother making fun of Stanford. ;) Whether that's because they can't compete with the weather or they don't bother to look down those noses, I cannot say!!

5/18/2005 02:33:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home