Thursday, February 03, 2005

Surrealism

Today was senior ditch day. It was the most organized effort a senior class has made in many years, and consequently all of my classes were about 50% missing. Even Calculus. Yetman said he'd never have a BC class ditch like that. So things were already feeling pretty weird when I realized that Kelsey wasn't there. Naturally, I thought she'd ditched WITHOUT ME, and so, rather ticked, I called her cell. No answer. I called her house, no answer, left a cautious message, not mentioning the word ditch in case her mother was the first to get the messages. I then proceeded to my much-reduced English class. When I emerged from English, I noticed that someone had left me a message, and shockingly, I didn't know the number. I called my mailbox as we walked towards our lockers, trying to decide whether we should ditch government and go out to lunch or be good students and get the free extra credit she was sure to hand out in honor of our not having ditched. When the message started, I was sure that Kelsey was going to hate me. It was her mother. By her second sentence, I had stopped dead in my tracks. She knew where K was, in fact, she'd taken her there, early that morning. K had woken up in a lot of pain, and had been taken to the hospital with what might be appendicitis. The only problem was that it hurt on the wrong side for that particular ailment. She was to stay there, having tests, until they figured it out. In something of a daze, we went to government, and when school let out, I called Mom, who called the hospital. She was still in the ER, and was waiting for tests and a room. At orchestra, I was kind of distracted, and in the culmination of the spirit of the day, discovered I had my shirt on backwards. When I got home, K's mother had called again. Kelsey has had her appendix removed. Apparently it was infected, but, being Kelsey, she of course had the most obscure set of symptoms possible. She is to be released tomorrow. We've called off the backwards birthday so that she won't have to miss it. Besides, none of us had the energy or time for the appropriate preparations today. It's been a weird day.

4 Comments:

Blogger anna said...

WOW. K has had more than her share of health crises. I hope everything's going better now, minus a small body part.

2/04/2005 06:40:00 AM  
Blogger anna said...

Any updates? How is she doing?

2/05/2005 03:14:00 PM  
Blogger Mary said...

I called yesterday, but they haven't called back yet, so I can only assume she's still feeling pretty crummy. However, if anything new were wrong, they'd have called too, so it's probably a situation in which no news is good news.

2/05/2005 03:54:00 PM  
Blogger anna said...

Wow. That is so crazy.

2/05/2005 09:57:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home